; World of Dennifer: 5QF + weekly recap - 6.25.10

Friday, June 25, 2010

5QF + weekly recap - 6.25.10


Another Friday here & almost gone. This week has been busy busy, but we're truckin' right along. Highlights form this week include my baby sister's graduation dinner on Monday & then graduation ceremony on Tuesday evening. I am so excited for her, but it's bittersweet to me that she has reached this important milestone in her life. First, I can't believe she's gonna be 18 in just 5 days & is done with grade school! Where did all the time and years go? I remember when my mom first told me she was pregnant with my little sister. I was 9 years old & devastated. I.was.not.happy. I was sitting pretty - the baby to both of my parents - who were divorced by then (my little sister has a different father than my older sister & I). I rather enjoyed being the baby of the family, thank you very much. So I did what any self -respecting 9-year-old would do in the face of such news - I CRIED my eyes out, wished it away & told my mom just how upset I was with her, hahaha. Sounds ridiculous now thinking back on it because as much as she annoyed me when we were growing up, I love the kid now adult & can't wait to see what she will do with her life! This was seriously the longest graduation ceremony ever, but I'm so happy we could be there to share in this special moment in her life:
 The Class of 2010 - makes me feel OLD!
Yours truly, my little sis Kim (she decided to wear a wig, lol b/c she "didn't have time to get her hair done") & the hubbs!
Family - from left: my mama (yes, I'm mixed w/ black & white ;), my God-brother Mike, m'wah, the grad, my little brother Rasheed & God-sister Natiya

Back in September, I sold her my old (but still in GREAT condition) 2000 Honda Civic when we bought Stella. She bought is for $2,000 & I let her pay us $200 a month to pay off the vehicle - I think it was good for her, taught her responsibility & to be accountable (she's spoiled). So our gift to her was to forgive her last loan payment, which she greatly appreciated! Congrats lil sister - love ya & you still owe me $40! Hahaha.

The rest of the week was sort of a blur, but I did manage to get a Baby J to do marked off my list - buying her crib mattress. After doing lots of research, reading reviews & comparing mattresses in-store we decided to buy the Sealy Baby Ultra Rest Crib & Toddler Bed Mattress from walmart.com. Baby Bargains said it was one of the best brands for coil crib mattresses & the hubbs and I stopped by our local Walmart to check it out in person before buying it sight unseen online - it has so many positives, like a wet-proof cover, it's 204 interwoven heavy guage steel coils, and hospital-grade Staph-Gard protection to help prevent bacteria growth - just to name a few. On top of all that it felt firm enough, but also still quite comfy for our little girl add to that the awesome price & free shipping & we were sold. So happy to get that crossed off our Baby J to do list this week!

Today we went to Happy Hour (I had water, dinner & a divine dessert) with some friends & then went to buy Mario Kart for the Wii & played for a couple hours. Tomorrow we are doing a major entire house cleaning & then heading next door to our neighbor's birthday party. On Sunday, we are heading over to my older sister's house to celebrate my nephew's 2nd birthday - he's getting so old! Hoping for a pretty chill weekend over all & a clean house at the end of it. Next weekend is a long weekend - 4th of July, woot! Gotta love long weekends!
And now, on to 5QF! If you want to participate, head on over to My Little Life & link up (and let me know if you do, I'd love to read my reader's answers)!



1. Do you know how to play a musical instrument?
Nope, not at all. I acted like I could play the piano when I was a little kid, but all I really could play was "Mary Had a Little Lamb" & not very well at all! The hubbs and I have vowed  to get our child(ren) into playing at least one musical instrument so that they can become proficient in something, unlike both of their parents.

2. What is your pet peeve while driving?
People riding their brakes & driving SOOO incredibly slow that they hold up the flow of traffic. Living in a high traffic area, like the DC Metro area, this can get extremely annoying. Oh, it also annoys me when I'm following the traffic rules & driving in the correct lanes during rush hour & I see people breaking the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) laws - ugh! This is so bad, but I always secretly hope the cops catch them - it's simply not fair for them to do that when everyone else is obeying the law! Parts of highways here are completely HOV only during rush hour & sometimes the cops set up road blocks on entrance ramps to catch violators & for just a moment, I think, "serves you right" when they have someone pulled over (I can see them while riding on the Metro) because I hate it when people are so cavalier that they think they are above the law!

3. Would you rather have a housekeeper or unlimited spa services?
Hands down a housekeeper! It's hard for me to keep up with all the housework now & I can only imagine that it'll be even harder once the little one arrives! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE spa days, but if I had to choose - housekeepers would be it.

4. Is there a song that you hear that will take you back to the moment, like a junior high or high school dance?
Yep, Cupid by 112. I loved that song the summer before my freshman year of high school - it was even my first real boyfriend (Jason) & I's song! His last name then happens to be my last name now, so if we'd have gotten married, then I'd still have my current last name, hahaha. I thought I was sooo cool dating someone a year ahead of me in high school, but our little relationship was short lived b/c I met my (long term) jerk of an ex-boyfriend that same summer & the rest is history as they say. FWIW, I have come to terms with all the crap he put me through in high school & have obviously forgiven him & gotten over it, but it doesn't prevent me from remembering it all. Despite all that, I still love the song & turn it up every time it comes on. :)

5. What song best represents your life right now?
Hmm, that's a tough one. I actually have no clue, haha. But whatever song that says I'm happy & content & right where I wanna be in life right now - that would be the song! 
And that's all I got this week. I plan on sleeping in as long as this little girl lets me tomorrow morning & then getting up ready to clean all morning. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! 'Till next time!

1 comments:

Life Happens said...

Congrats to your sister! What a nice gift you gave her. Beautiful family.

Sounds like you have a busy weekend (don't we all?!)

I love your list, especially the HOV rules. My DH and I commute in together and see people braking the rules all the time. And secretly wish they get caught!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!